Explore China in our newest traveling exhibit!
Children of Hangzhou: Connecting with China is an exhibition designed to engage children and families by teaching about one of the oldest civilizations in the world. Through this exhibit, Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum strives to increase awareness around China. In distinctively Chinese settings, visitors will “meet” children with different interests and in different environments. The exhibit will dispel stereotypes and demystify the nation of China.
Children of Hangzhou presents four children from Hangzhou in several environments, including at home, at school, in the library, in the theater, and in the countryside. The Chinese children will introduce themselves through media and the activities of their daily lives. Visitors will discover that Chinese life today mixes ancient traditions with modern lifestyles. This exhibit is a bridge to learn about China and build cross-cultural understanding. It features original artwork created to present a unique Chinese aesthetic that delivers an immediate and unmistakable impression:
You are in China.
Learn all about Chinese culture
The exhibition is organized into several components:
- Stop by Weicheng’s apartment and see how the Chinese prepare their favorite recipes.
- Visit the Opera Theater and play traditional Chinese instruments, while Qianyun learns to perform Chinese opera.
- Attend Gangzheng’s middle school and join the class in studying Ancient Chinese history.
- Go out to the countryside with Doudou to discover life in the countryside and help with rice planting.
- The iconic centerpiece of the exhibit is a Pavilion in West Lake, Hangzhou. In the Pavilion, visitors can practice Tai Chi with a master and play traditional Chinese games.
Thank You Boston Children’s Museum & Freeman Foundation
Children of Hangzhou: Connecting with China was produced by Boston Children’s Museum as part of the Freeman Foundation Asian Culture Exhibit Series, funded by The Freeman Foundation and administered by Association of Children’s museums. All underlying materials, including all artwork and the use of Children of Hangzhou: Connecting with China characters are used with permission of Boston Children’s Museum.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Stay up to date at the Museum!