Explore China in our newest traveling exhibit!
Children of Hangzhou is devoted to expanding knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of contemporary China through life in Boston’s Sister City, Hangzhou. In distinctively Chinese settings, visitors will “meet” children with different interests and in different environments and learn what makes them tick. The exhibit will dispel stereotypes and “demystify” China.
Through this exhibit, Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum strives to increase awareness around China.
Children of Hangzhou: Connecting with China presents four children from Hangzhou at home, at school, in the library, in the theater, and in the countryside. The Hangzhou young people will introduce themselves through media and the activities of their daily lives. Visitors will discover that Chinese life today mixes ancient traditions with modern lifestyles and that life in China is both similar to and different from life in North America. The young Chinese in the exhibit will be a bridge to learning about China and building cross-cultural understanding. The exhibit features original artwork created to present a unique Chinese aesthetic that delivers an immediate and unmistakable impression: You are in China.
Learn all about Chinese culture
The exhibition is organized into several components:
- Visit Weicheng’s apartment, and see how the Chinese prepare their favorite recipes.
- Visit Gangzheng’s middle school and join the class in studying Ancient Chinese history.
- Visit the Opera Theater where Qianyun is learning to perform traditional Chinese opera and play the yangqin with tiny hammers – just like a dulcimer and hear how it sounds.
- Go out to the countryside with Doudou and check out the friendly lifelike water buffalo!
- The iconic centerpiece of the exhibit is a Pavilion in West Lake. See how Hangzhou is like “heaven on earth”. In the Pavilion, visitors can practice Tai Chi with a master and play traditional Chinese games.
Thank You Boston Children’s Museum & Freeman Foundation
Children of Hangzhou: Connecting with China was produced by Boston Children’s Museum as part of the Freeman Foundation Asian Culture Exhibit Series, funded by The Freeman Foundation and administered by Association of Children’s museums. All underlying materials, including all artwork and the use of Children of Hangzhou: Connecting with China characters are used with permission of Boston Children’s Museum.
JOIN OUR EMAIL LIST
Stay up to date at the Museum!