Make a Haunted House
Ages 2 and up
Here is a fun way to turn some recycling into a fun decoration! By making your own haunted house, you can customize it to be as scary or as silly as your child wants. If you have a lot of toilet paper rolls on hand, you can even make an entire fun Halloween Village. Happy Haunting!
- Leftover toilet paper roll
- Construction paper and/or paint
- Embellishments, such as spider webs, spider rings, glitter, sequins etc
- Glue black construction paper around the toilet paper roll or paint the outside of the roll black (hint: in order to make sure you will have enough black construction paper make sure to cut a strip 3x as wide as the width of the roll when it is standing up)
- Let the paper dry. Tip: you can wrap a rubber band around the paper to help it dry
- Next, make the roof. Cut a “c” shape out of a fun color of construction paper. The top of the rounded part should be about 6 inches tall, and the bottom should be about 5 inches long.
- Take one corner and bring it to the middle, then bring the other corner around it. Adjusting the cone until it makes a conical roof shape.
- Glue the edge of the cone paper so that it keeps its shape
- Place the cone on the toilet paper roll
- Cut out embellishments-doors and windows can be fun!
- Add glitter, fake spiders, spider webs or sequins! Make your house as fancy as you like (we added black m’s cut out of construction paper to look like bats!)
- Use toilet paper rolls to make monster friends!
- Listen to little kid friendly Halloween music as you do this activity!
If you enjoy our Steam Learning Lab and would like to make a donation click here. Thank you for your support!