This week we are participating in Week of The Young Child (WOYC). WOYC is a national celebration hosted by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and invites parents, teachers and caregivers to spend the week focusing on early learning opportunities. This year we have moved the celebration online, and are delighted to be joined by 5 guest organizations. Over the next 5 days we will explore each day’s theme through performances, projects and virtual visits with our partners.
Today is Music Monday and we joined by Hello Music. Hello Music offers family style classes in the museum with a focus on teaching young children through music! Today, they are offering a free music class that you can do at home with your family. Click here to enjoy the class and then check out their website to see more opportunities.
Remember to share you pictures with us on Instagram #discoverygateway, when you tag us in your photos you'll be entered to win a Family Membership to Discovery Gateway! For each different activity that you do from our STEAM Learning Lab blog, and tag us in you'll be entered to win! That means multiple opportunities! We will keep you updated on when we'll do the drawing, so keep posting! Lets stay connected!
● Create your own musical instrument
Water Xylophone Activity
● 6 drinking glasses(made of glass)
● Spoon or Popsicle stick
● Food coloring(optional)
- Take your six drinking glasses and arrange them in a horizontal line
- Fill the first glass all the way to the top with water. Continue down the line, filling each glass with slightly less water as you move down the row
- Optional: add different color food coloring to each glass
- Gently tap on each glass with the spoon. What do they sound like?(the different levels of water will produce different sounds)
- Optional: take sips or add water to change the sound the glass makes