When cooking with vegetables there can be a lot of parts that are left over. Instead of throwing them away, try this fun experiment. We will take seemingly dead vegetables and bring them “back to life! “ Vegetable scraps from some vegetables will still be able to sprout, and this offers a good chance to teach young kids about the conditions needed for plants to grow.
- Carrot top (greens removed) from 1 whole carrot
- Saucer or flat plate
- Sunny location
- Optional: chop up carrot and have a snack. Leave a couple inches at the top of the carrot.
- Take saucer and add a small amount of water so that the bottom is about a half full
- Place the carrot in the saucer, with the bottom (part where the leaves weren’t growing from) sitting in water.
- Place the saucer in a sunny window
- Wait-and watch-for the carrot to grow new tops!
- Optional: plant the carrot, and watch the lacey green tops grow.
- Carrot leaves are edible! Here’s a fun recipe: https://yupitsvegan.com/carrot-top-pesto/
- Other vegetables can be revived as well https://www.ruralsprout.com/regrow-vegetables/