Holi Cultural Celebration Activity!
Holi is a traditional Hindu festival, which celebrates the return of spring. A big part of this celebration is the color throw. This is a wonderful activity to share with the whole family! No matter your age everyone will enjoy this festival of colors! So get ready to have your own Holi celebration at home, here are two fun activities to get the party started!
DIY Color Throw
2 cups corn starch
3⁄4 cup water
1⁄2 jar of icing food coloring or 50 drops of liquid food coloring
1. Turn oven on to 170 degrees
2. Pour 1 cup of corn starch into mixing bowl
3. Add your choice of food coloring
4. Slowly mix in the water
5. Add the rest of the corn starch to the bowl, mixing everything together slowly and thoroughly
6. Pour mixture onto baking sheet and spread into thin layer
7. Bake in oven for 60 minutes, stirring about every 20 minutes.
8. Take mixture out of the oven and let it cool
9. Put baked mixture into the blender and pulse until the powder is fine
10. Repeat to make more colors if desired
Divide powder into containers, find some great music (Such as this Holi mix) and make sure everyone is in clothes they don't mind getting a bit messy (and has some protective eye wear). Then turn up the music and throw the powder into the air, and at each other to welcome the return of spring’s bright colors!
DIY Rangoli(traditional chalk art)
1⁄4 cup salt
- Pour salt into bowl
- Take chalk and slowly swirl it in the salt. After a while, the salt will turn into the color of the chalk
- Go outside and lightly draw pictures and designs on the sidewalk
- Take chalk powder and, sprinkling it with your fingers, fill in the design and emphasize the lines by sprinkling chalk powder on what you've drawn.