Red, White and Blue Slime
For ages 2 and older
Did you know that Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum has offered a monthly Sensory Inclusive Afternoon (SIA) for the last few years? At these events, we showcase activities which appeal to children with autism spectrum disorder and other sensory needs. This also gives museum visitors a chance to participate in educational activities which focus on learning through multiple senses. Playing with slime engages a child’s sense of touch. By making this slime from food, it will also have as scent and can even be tasted, although it might not taste like a yummy dessert because of the oil and cornstarch. We recommend making another batch of regular Jell-O to enjoy after the activity. This slime is a great chance to showcase different textures and allows children to have a fun project to celebrate the Fourth of July! Have a happy and safe holiday, from all of us at Discovery Gateway.
Materials for white slime:
- 6 jumbo marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½-1 tablespoon cornstarch
Materials for Red and Blue Slime:
- 1 box cherry Jell-O
- 1 box blue raspberry Jell-O
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups of water
- Optional: Mix-ins for slime, like sprinkles or edible flower petals (add at the very end)
Directions for white slime:
- Put Marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bowl
- Have an adult put bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds
- Take bowl out of the microwave (careful-it will be hot)
- Mix in ½ Tablespoon of cornstarch and stir
- Add more cornstarch if you want thicker slime
- As the mixture cools, use your fingers to knead and mix the slime
- This slime will harden fast-so make it right before you want to play with it
Directions for Red and Blue Slime:
- Combine red Jell-O Mix and 1 cup cornstarch
- Add ¼ cup of water and gently mix
- When it gets hard to stir, add another ¼ cup water and mix
- Take the slime out and knead by hand, adding a tablespoon or so of water as needed.
- Once it is the right consistency-play with your slime!
- Repeat steps 1-5 with blue Jell-O Mix
- When finished playing, store for a few days in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow to warm to room temperature before playing
- Make Fourth of July sensory bottles!
If you enjoy our Steam Learning Lab and would like to make a donation click here. Thank you for your support!